I hope you are well?
Just a brief update on the EU JRC project. Once again apologies for the lengthy mail, but please spend a moment or two on it to ensure that we are all up to date
1. Project Progress - Deliverable 1
We submitted the reports for deliverable 1 by end Feb 2012 (KM2.1) and with permission 3 March 2012 (JLP1.1 and JLP1.2). I forwarded the submitted reports for your attention. The EU JRC will now scrutinize the reports, and ask for clarification which we should attend to before they accept the reports and make payments.
I can report that they have had comments on KM2.1, which I have sent to Jaqui and Bruno, which will be attended to.
2. Overall Project Progress
We should now focus on tasks .
- JLP 1.3 PREPARATION OF MECHANISMS FOR DIALOGUE, AWARENESS RAISING AND COACHING ELEMENTS (task leader UWC to be delivered mid to end March 2012) and
- KM2.2 DEVELOPING A LIST OF ACTIONS AND CHANNELS FOR THE DISSEMINATION AND DISSEMINATION MATERIAL (Task leader U Zambia to be delivered mid April 2012)
to ensure that we enough time to deliver reports to the EU JRC by end April 2012
also not forget Please refer to table below):
- JLP 1.4 CONSULTATIVE PLANNING SEMINAR in Botswana (task leader U Botswana) and actions around that and
- KM2.2 DEVELOPING A LIST OF ACTIONS AND CHANNELS FOR THE DISSEMINATION AND DISSEMINATION MATERIAL - Task leader to be finalised. I would like to suggest that we complete our discussions and resolve this by Wednesday 14 March 2012 -so please expect some final discussions in early next week on this topic.
3. Project monitoring and evaluation
Just a follow-on on the previous mail regarding this topic. Could I ask for you attention to this point again, as I have not received feedback. In order to monitor and evaluate the progress of the project, I have extended the original project Gantt chart with the feedback from our Maputo workshop, as provided by the different consortium members. I attach the updated chart to this mail. Within the Gantt Chart, I have allocated the steps due date as per detail tasks, and are then able to monitor the task by ‐
ACTIVITY : PLANNED DATE
ACTIVITY : ON TRACK (ACTUAL)
ACTIVITY : PREPARE PLAN B (ACTUAL)
ACTIVITY: IMPLEMENT PLAN B (ACTUAL)
To date I have received such detail feedback from all institutions on their specific tasks, except for
JLP 1.5 FINAL DESIGN OF THE SEMINARS AND TRAININGS (CSIR)
JLP 1.6(a) TRAINING/SEMINARS, ORGANIZATION (ALL)
JLP 1.6(b) TRAINING/SEMINARS, IMPLEMENTATION REPORT (SU)
KM2.3 PRODUCE EDUCATIONAL MATERIAL, LINKED WITH AQUAKNOW PLATFORM AND DEVELOPMENT OF COURSES (UKZN - to be reassigned)
KM2.5 INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP (UMalawi)
I will commit to prepare the detail steps and requirements for JLP 1.6, but if all other institutions could please provide their steps and expected dates to me as soon as possible, then I can monitor the project. If by any chance you prepared and sent the information though and I missed it, please just forward it again.
4. Important dates
Please keep the following important dates as we move through the project. I have organised the tasks chronologically in the table by due date, in order for us to plan better: (I also attach the table as a document)
DELIVERABLE 1 to JRC
JLP 1.1 SURVEY ON REQUIREMENTS IN HIGHER EDUCATION AND WITHIN TRAININGS FOR PRACTITIONERS IN THE WATER SECTOR
End Feb. 2012
JLP 1.2. STUDY ON HOW THE CENTRES OF EXCELLENCE COULD BETTER ADDRESS SECTOR EXPERTISE FOR CONSULTANCY AND ADVOCACY NEEDS FOR WATER SECTOR
End Feb. 2012
KM 2.1 ANALYSIS OF THE AQUAKNOW USERS AND POLICY MAKERS
End Feb. 2012
SUBMIT DELIVERABLE 1 TO JRC due end Feb. 2012
DELIVERABLE 2 to JRC
KM2.2 DEVELOPING A LIST OF ACTIONS AND CHANNELS FOR THE DISSEMINATION AND DISSEMINATION MATERIAL
Mid March 2012
JLP 1.3 PREPARATION OF MECHANISMS FOR DIALOGUE, AWARENESS RAISING AND COACHING ELEMENTS
Mid April 2012
SUBMIT DELIVERABLE 2 TO JRC end April 2012
DELIVERABLE 3 to JRC
KM2.3 PRODUCE EDUCATIONAL MATERIAL, LINKED WITH AQUAKNOW PLATFORM AND DEVELOPMENT OF COURSES
Early to mid May 2012
UKZN – NEW LEAD TO BE ASSIGNED
JLP 1.4 CONSULTATIVE PLANNING SEMINAR in Botswana
13-14 June 2012 or 20-21 June 2012.
JLP 1.5 FINAL DESIGN OF THE SEMINARS AND TRAININGS
Mid to end July 2012
JLP 1.7 PROCEEDINGS AND FEEDBACK MATERIAL FROM THE TRAININGS/SEMINARS
August 2012 during 1.6 training seminars
JLP 1.8 AMCOW AND SADC REPORTS
Date to be determined by AMCOW
KM2.4 INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP
Date to be confirmed by JRC
KM 2.5 E-CONFERENCE AND THE PROCEEDINGS OF THE E-CONFERENCE
Early to mid October 2012
SUBMIT DELIVERABLE 3 TO JRC due end Oct 2012
DELIVERABLE 4 to JRC
End Nov. 2012
SUBMIT DELIVERABLE 4 TO JRC due end Nov 2012
5. Communication and Collaboration
I would like to thank all for the effort in signing on to the Aquaknow KMS platform, and have access tot the CLOSED and PRIVATE group - NEPAD SANWATCE - EU JRC PROJECT. I now urge you to start adding information which you feel important. Once we all see the value of such a system, I am sure we will find it extremely valuable.
6. So what to expect in the next few weeks
1. Finalise clarifications from the EU JRC on reports JLP1.1; JLP1.2 and KM2.1
2. Focus on Deliverable 2 due end April 2012 (refer to above table)
3. Start Planning for Consultative workshop in Botswana
4. Resolve and realocate the UKZN task
5. Refer to 3. Project monitoring and evaluation - if all other institutions could please provide their steps and expected dtates to me as soon as possible, then I can monitor the project.
6. EU JRC Issues
1. Get clarification of the expected date for the International workshop - the UE JRC has indicated that they are now focussing on the WWF6 conference which is taking place next week, and will start planning the International conference as from mid to end March 2012
7. Any other business
Please let me know if I did not include anything in this mail which you think might be pertinent.
All the best
PS. I will also post this in our Private Aquaknow Group
Mr. Nico Elema, MBA
NEPAD Water Centres of Excellence
Regional Program Manager:
SANWATCE - Southern African Water Centres of Excellence